www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fullscreen Window
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:21 pm 

This question applies to "Real" Risc OS programming as well as Virtual RPC-SE
I have written a Wimp application (BBC Basic) which displays real time information in multiple windows (Wimp_OpenWindow, etc).
It all works fine on "real" Risc OS computers and Virtual RPC-SE, but I now want to the program to open a window which scrolls like a Task Window or Telnet Session (accepting typed commands and displaying responses).
OK, so far. I can do that; but the real complication is that I want to be able to set the window to fullscreen. (with the Task Manager still running :twisted: )
Can it be done? and, if so, how? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

I think what you want is something that covers the entire desktop (at the current resolution). You can do this quite easily.
Your application will need to read the current VDU variables to determine the desktop resolution. Don't forget to take the XEigen and YEigen values into account.
Then create a window the size of the screen with no window furniture and open this on top of everything. The application will need to keep polling the wimp and will have to monitor various events - for example a mode change will mean the window will need to be updated to fir the new
resolution.
What you are doing is exactly the same as the pinboard - but instead of opening at the bottom of the stack you are opening on top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm 

Many Thanks.
That is pretty much what I have started coding. (The application already polls the wimp).
I was hoping there was something simpler that I had missed in the PRM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:55 am 
Site Admin

It is a very simple bit of code. When I started with WIMP programming I started to produce standard routines to do all the common tasks. So if I using my library of existing routines it would be:
PROCcreate_window(flags)
PROCopen_window_centre(flags)
I suggest parcelling up each but of code as a stand alone routine that can be re-used in another program at a later date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:30 pm 

Yep. Done that.
DEF FNcreate_window (title%,width%,height%,flags%,background%): REM returns window handle
DEF PROCopen_window (handle%, xmin%, ymin%, xmax%, ymax%)
Fullscreen "window" is now working (although, at present) only at 800*600 resolution :oops:)
Thanks for the help. :)