www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SATA CD/DVD support
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:56 pm 

I thought I'd put this in here as I suspect it is the same across all versions of Windows and all versions of VirtualRPC

See this other thread for a bit of a flavour of what I'm talking about viewtopic.phpf=12&t=595

Basically I think I'm right in assuming that SATA CD/DVD drives are not recognised in VirtualRPC due to them not being ATAPI compatible and presumably by association this is because they are not IDE.

Obviously this can be worked around by creating a mount either manually or via the DrivePop utility, but this can cause issues around Filetyping etc.

Similarly it can be 'fixed' by installing an IDE device on your PC if you have an IDE header to attach to and space in the case etc

However more and more modern machines are completely 'ide-free' (like mine for example). So basically how difficult would it be to enable this functionality in VirtualRPC - perhaps via a differnt .dll or is it a real technical minefield ?

Obviously the issue does not affect hard drives, otherwise VirtualRPC would not run at all on a native SATA based machine, but I guess it's all to do with things around CDFS etc.

Just curious really, but if such a feature was available even as a chargeable add-on, then I for one would happily pay for it

Post subject: Re: SATA CD/DVD support
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

I've been using a SATA DVD Writer on my machine for some time. This reads CDs fine under RISC OS.

The problem with the drive on the other thread seems to be that the drive was not ATAPI compatible.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:18 pm 

Ah right ok. That must be the same case for me then, as mine does not work under RISC OS. It's a Lite-On iHAS324 Y.It identifies itself as ATAPI iHAS324 under device mgr an says it is SCSI although it is SATA and has a standard SATA lead plugged into it.

Anyway what make / model is yours? DVD writers are not fantastically expensive, might have a go at swapping it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Apologies for the delay in replying.

The drive I have identifies itself as:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N SCSI CDROM Device

(although it's not SCSI it's SATA). It's made by LG and is about a year and a half old.