www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Host machine clock accuracy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:29 pm 

Whilst thinking about the clock problems mentioned in the VRPC support topics, and as a result of watching clock accuracy I've discovered some disturbing clock inaccuracies that I would not have believed possible on modern hardware.
I have two machines at home, an XPC Shuttle and a Lenovo laptop and both seem to have extremely inaccurate clocks (gaining as musch as 10 to 15 minutes a week).
This of course means that RISCOS will also get the wrong time.

I checked Windows and both machines have the built-in SNTP client active so Windows should correct the time, but it seems that it only checks once a week. Now if the clock is as much as 15 minutes out it seems that it does NOT correct the clock. I tried to follow the Microsoft instructions to change the registry to increase the frequency of checking the SNTP server and I tried different servers. It ignores the increased frequency of checking the server so thats no good. I then looked for third party software for updating the system clock from atomic clocks, etc. Most of the free ones are junk and don't actually work but I found one called TimeSync that does seem to work. Now at least VRPC stands a chance of having the correct time.
My VRPC at work is OK until the Win PC power fails because Windows syncs its time to the domain server but actually the hardware clock fails totally on power down.

I just wondered if other people are having similar problems? In all my 35 years of computer experience I've never before seen clocks this bad.

Mike