www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Select 4 VRAM
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:13 pm 

Having had my monitor working in native resolution with VRPC-SA-Adjust, I'm disconcerted that the Select 4 preview seems to go back to the select 3 maximum of 4 meg, which results in a 256 colour mode at 1280x1024.
Is there any prospect of an improvement in the near future, so I can review my future direction regarding select.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, Select 4 requires a driver for each video device. The preview version of Select 4 does not come with a driver for VirtualAcorn. So it defaults to using the one for the VIDC, which supports 2Mb of VRAM. We are working on a driver that will resolve this issue ready for the full Select 4 release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:33 pm 

Did this happen yet? Having upgraded to RISC OS 6, I'm also now disappointed that the VRAM has reduced to only 1280x1024 at 256 colours. Or am I missing something?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

I can only aplogise for the delay. The driver we developed based on the RISC OS 6 preview didn't function on the full release of RISC OS 6 because the RISC OS video system was overhauled. As the moment we are working on VRPC for the Mac (which also has a new VRPC video system) so until we have this finalised we can't sort the driver out properly.
In the meantime I will see what I can sort out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:23 pm 

Is there any news on this yet? It's getting mildly annoying having to work in 256 colours all the time in RISC OS 6. One of the selling points for me when I got VA was that it would support RISC OS 6 properly.
I appreciate that limited resources can only achieve so much (I know that I don't have enough time in a day to do everything I want!) but at this rate I'll be switching back to my RiscPC + Viewfinder to do any DTP, even if it is only running the previous version of Select...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

I can certainly give you an update. We have a driver developed that allows up to 8Mb of VRAM, it's now working on the latest versions of RISC OS 6 - but it's thrown up some more problems elsewhere :-(
We are still working on it (indeed Graeme and I were discussing it on Thursday) but I can't give you a time scale for it's proper release as at the moment we simply don't know (and can't find out) why its sometimes failing to start. It's simply not reliable enough to go out until the source of the problem(s) have been loacted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:37 pm 

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that progress is being made and I (and I'm sure many others!) look forward to the bugs being found.
I do however appreciate how difficult these things can be to track down so I understand why you can't give a timeframe for this.
Then we'll just need mouse wheel support and I'll be completely happy. :)