www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A method for bulk file Xfer from RiscOS to Leopard
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:05 pm 

Here is how I ported a lot of (non-executable or non-compilable) files from RiscOS to Leopard with good effect. I hope the ideas and techniques may be of interest:
This is one approach for a one-shot high quality bulk transfer of nontrivial file structures (e.g. images, PDFs and docs) from RiscPC to Leopard together with file suffix grooming. It looks complex but is actually OK and the Renamer4Mac utility is very supportive, insofar as you can see what it will do before you press 'reaname'
I used ShareFS via Ethernet connection (ADSL router as it happens) to connect the RPC 'to' the VRPC emulator
to preserve file date stamps (excepting folders):
On emulator, copy folder structure into a large temporary archive (!SparkFS)
Extract using latest v2.26 SparkPlug from David Pilling (earlier had bug affecting correctness of datestamps I think)
We now have all leaf objects on the emulator with correct datestamp.
Under UNIX they display the ,fff (etc., depending on type) suffix denoting filetype, which we want and shall use. (HostFS for Hard Drive 4 has NOT 'no types')
On Leopard use shareware Renamer4Mac by Werner Freytag.
For all files recursively and for each of say 8 observed filetypes,
search and replace using UNIX wildcards e.g. substitute
(^.*)(,b60)
for
\1.png
joe,b60 becomes joe.png, and so on. (Hint: most 'binary' files, when opened in textedit, say what format that are in text at the front.)
now clean up any double suffixed objects (if for example DOS files were present on Risc OS), substituting
(^.*)PDF.pdf
for
\1.pdf
done. We now have all files and folders over with suffixes and date stamps OK.
If in any subfolder (e.g. a captured web page with hardwired graphics file names with no suffix referenced in the HTML - from Netsurf I think) a suffix is *unwanted*, clear and remake the Renamer4Mac list of files to change and substitute:
(^.*).gif (also jpg)
<for>
\1
joe.gif becomes joe
Done!
hope this was of interest.