www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Running VA on 10.5 (leopard)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:45 pm 

Yesterday I have installed Leopard on my Intel Mac -- today VA for mac arrived. :) -- thanks for providing an unlock code on saturday.........
I have installed VA on my Mac and it seems to work
( I know the product is beta and support for Leopard is a little too much to ask)
strange things so far:
-StrongArm mode refused to work (abort on data transfer at startup)
710 and /or 7500 is ok.
-CDFS detect my external USB writer and not the internal one (not really a problem because CD reading does work)
If I disconnect the USB writer the internal is recognised and also working -
configuring for 2 drives doesn't work - only the external is recognised.
- Oregano2 / Fresco can connect to the internet - !Netsurf gives an error : domain name not found.
- After installing RO 6 VA won't startup (black screen only and no activity)
I have transferred all my programs from the A9home to VA and from what I can see 99% is working.
I use VA in full screen only (1680 x 1050 ) and have configured the MENU button on my (apple mighty mouse) as 'desktop'
The above is just some information for mac users who wants to upgrade to the new mac osx OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:31 am 

Re: "!Netsurf gives an error : domain name not found."
This may not be a Mac specific issue:-
See this topic and this topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback - it's very useful.
Dealing with the StrongARM - this is a fault with VRPC. It shows up on some machines. We made a speculative fix and got the StrongARM to fire up - but this caused the Arm7 and 7500 to play up. Not all machines are effected by this problem - we are going to investigate further this week.
VRPC will detect the first sequentially numbered CD drive and use that (unless the VRPC config file is altered to select the 2nd/3rd etc drive).
VRPC only supports 1 CD drive.
The NetSurf problems looks to be DNS related - we are investigating.
The problem with RISC OS 6 is most likely due to an unplugged module. The module numbers changed between 4.39 and 6.0x. Make sure all 4.39 unplugged modules are RMReinit'd before firing up RISC OS 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:32 pm 

I am hoping to purchase a Mac Mini ASAP (and then VA beta to run on it); the US Apple site says these will indeed ship with Leopard - ideally I want to buy one (UK sourced) with Leopard properly pre-installed.
It is good to hear that VA works on Leopard.
My question:
I also intend to get an external HD and to use Time Machine. I have not seen the filestore used by Virtual Acorn but insofar as Time machine will detect any new, changed or 'touched' files, and assuming that the file store comprioses many discrete filer objects, is the outcome that TimeMachine will incrementally back up the Acorn file store and indeed allow roll back of the emulated Risc OS files? If this is the case, that will be very useful.
thanks
:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:57 am 

Time machine does backup your VA files (and you can restore them back)
- first time I tried time machine and it works :)
Still no luck with !Netsurf /!Grapevine or !Hermes.
Oregano- Fresco-Newshound or FTPc are working however.
I can live with these minor problems - for most internet stuff I switch back to the Mac OS desktop.
I will try one of these days to install Tiger back on my Mac on a external firewire HD to see if things are working different.
[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:51 pm 

Kees Meijer wrote:
I will try one of these days to install Tiger back on my Mac on a external firewire HD to see if things are working different.

Ok - installed tiger back on external HD, from what I can see there is no difference in running VA on Tiger or Leopard. (VirtualRPCBeta2)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for testing this, it's very useful to know. Obviously we have tested using pre release versions of Leopard but (as we discovered with Vista) things can change between the preview and real releases of an OS quite substancially.

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:01 pm 

Hi, I have just installed VirtualAcorn on my PowerBook (external disc) and so far so good it runs well in StrongArm mode. I have not tried out a lot but as it's mostly !ArtWorks which I want to run - and it does - I'm already fairly happy :-) Over time I'll probably be back here with problems which I'll discover :shock:
Anyway, three cheers for VA!!! It's a great idea!!!
And even appears to work !!! :D
(Before I forget, I run it under Leopard).
See you folks :-)
Yo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:30 pm 

I am pleased to conform the following works well, subject to the various remarks/limitations noted elsewhere:
Mac Mini (new) Leopard 10.5.1 with vRPC version 1.6.4 arrived today.
As a bonus I was immedialtely able to shareFS files with a 'real' RPC via a mutually connected D-link ADSL router. Copying lots of files was quite fast, Counting them much faster than on RPC (quick even without the Faster selection in place)
Ovation Pro (the only frame based DTP to use...) worked immediately once I'd gotten !Words in place.
Excellent. The unlock code literally was by return of email - about 0.8 sticky buns and 0.5 cups of tea or less elapsed between request and return.
:wink:

Post subject: Thinking of VA for Mac
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:10 pm 

Hi there! Have recently moved from my troublesome PC running VRPC-Adjust to my brand new shiny iMac, and now I want to run VA on that as well. Like most people here, I am running Leopard, and from what I have heard about the Beta it seems to work very well. There are a couple of things I wanted to check first before buying it though.
1) How well does it cope in full screen mode, particularly with the desktop and games like StarFighter 3000?
2) Will Digital CD work for playing music?
3) Does it require any extra configuration out of the box?
4) Is it likely to work on my system?
My machine specs are as follows:
- 20 inch 2.4Ghz iMac
- Intel Core 2 Duo
- 1 Gb of RAM
- Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.1
Thanks to all those who have provided such valuable feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:47 am 

Quick answer:
-1 Most of my games work ( full screen or window)unfortunatly I don't have a copy of starfighter3000 :oops:
-2 Yup
-3 Apart from allocating more memory for VA everything works out of the box (you have to change that by yourself)
-4 YES
upgrade to mac osx 10.5.2 (it solves a few problems for your mac osx computer) and VA for mac does work.
Keep in mind that a few things won't work: !Netsurf / !FireFox for example, and if you want to throw away your apple mighty mouse: do not buy a microsoft laser mouse ( you wont' have a middle mouse button)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

The issues with NetSurf and some others (e.g. Hermes etc) have now been tracked down. At the time of writing we are still playing with the latest FireFox, but at present it doesn't seem to want to play ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:57 pm 

I got an ancient copy of Pacman going... And !SimCity 2000. Not !Elite (maybe that was broken on the SA RPC....)
(I have Mac Mini with Leopard and all latest patches. Which amounted to a frenzy of upgrades since whilst it shipped 'with' Leopard (just after Leopard's release) in fact I had to use a DVD from the box to upgrade from 10.4 first, then 2 or more upgrades more from Apple). Good job its fast and I have broadband.
Just about any app works in VRPC excepting the specific issue with !Netsurf. Things not working is exceptional. Well, barring printing from inside VRPC but that is another thread.
For example I have email capability via Messenger Pro/!DialUp (!PopStar in there somewhere) whereby I believe a POP drawdown of my email is done from server to local !Newsdir.
POP3 (Wiki) : in computing, local e-mail clients use the Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3), an application-layer Internet standard protocol, to retrieve e-mail from a remote server over a TCP/IP connection. Many subscribers to individual Internet service provider e-mail accounts access their e-mail with client software that uses POP3.