www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: arcem on vrpcsa
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:45 pm 

I'm a fan of riscos and I'm used to play with: my acorn A310 (still working), my new RaspberryPi with riscos 5.19 , my rpcemu with riscos 5.19 and 4.02 and VRPCSA.
The last one is my preferred because it is the faster and it is the most complete: network printing, screen modes etc.
To run old 3.10 games I'm using a310emu and arcem .

My point is that VRPCSA is the only one not supporting arcem. Always it quits saying that it is not able to find a suitable video mode.
Any suggestions ?
A second issue is that VRPCSA is limiting to 28MB. the Ram for the new task and is quite impossibile to compile under GCC 4.0

Regards Corrado

Post subject: Re: arcem on vrpcsa
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

If you want to increase the amount of RAM allocated to RISC OS please see the appendices in the VirtualAcorn User Guide. The maximum amount of RAM that can be allocated to RISC OS 4.39 is 256MB.

With regard to arcem, I have used early versions on VirtualRPC and there is no reason why it shouldn't work. My suggestion is to find out what video mode it wants and then add a definition for that mode to the MDF (Monitor Definition File) if the mode is missing.

Post subject: Re: arcem on vrpcsa
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:55 am 

Solved:
1) arcem: I rebuild it (on raspberry with gcc 4.1.2) and now it works
2) gcc issue: I have configured 256Mb. ram and assigned to the taskwindows 28Mb ram, I have had the error '33'; I was lucky to find a forum of 2003 stating that in VA there is an issue with the 10 characters name truncating, the directory arm-riscos-aof has been dearchived, by VA installation program, as arm-riscos-a.
Two possible solutions two configure truncate '10' or two remane the directory. I have used the second one; now it compiles the helloworld

Update : I downloaded and installled Gcc 4.1.2 . It works fine , I rebuild arcem on VRPCSA.