www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Things are getting worse - HELP, PLEASE!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 pm 

Edit 2:
I stopped work for the day, shut down VA, then remembered something important I had forgotten, double clicked on the VA icon again - and once again saw the Floppy Disk in the middle of the screen, though this time it simply disappeared, leaving VA to start as normal, when I pressed Escape.

What's going on here?

Regards,

Jochen

Edit 1:
THIS problem is resolved - I created a new installation of VA in a different directory on D:, then moved the existing HardDisc4 directory over to the new installation; at least at this moment everything works perfectly.

Now if I only could get bat to the much more powerful notebook..

Regards,

Jochen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

as I can't use VA on my big notebook any more (see my previous request for help), I transferred all the files I'm currently working on to my little netbook - VA worked there, but WinXP complained about low memory (My Computer stated "40 MB free").

So, I...

-copied the whole VA directory from C: to the second partition D: which still had 50 GB of free space (my VA directory needs just 30 GB),

-shut down the netbook,

-booted the netbook again,

-ran VA from the D: partition - everything worked perfectly

-deleted the VA directory on C:

-after doing some other stuff for a while, ran VA from D: again... and got the dreaded Floppy Disc in the middle of the screen, and when I clicked my way through to "exit to desktop", was left with a "virgin" desktiop of - I suppose - 480*640 pixels.

I suppose if I copy VA back to C:, it will work again - exept that WinXP will then be back to too little free disc space.

Any idea how I can solve this dilemma? :?: :?:

Regards,

Jochen

Post subject: Re: Things are getting worse - HELP, PLEASE!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:06 am 
Site Admin

If VirtualRPC is running and then not running I suggest that something is wrong with your PC.

If you get a 'virgin' desktop then it may mean that the RISC OS CMOS memory file has become corrupted.
Quit VirtualRPC
Insert the original VirtualRPC CD in the drive
Wait for the CD menu to load
Go to Utilities
Run the app to restore the CMOS RAM file
Make sure you alter the default file path to point to the location of your VirtualRPC.
Complete the installation

Now try running VirtualRPC again

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:55 pm 

Hi,

at the moment I won't touch anything on this device, because VA is now running - I did a complete re-install to the other partition, then moved HardDisc4 over to that installation.

The only minor niggle now is that every time I start VA, for a second I get the expected black screen with the white system messages in the top left corner, then the Floppy Disc appears and has to be removed with Escape; after this, everything works perfectly.

I have so far processed 800+ photos, with 400 more to go; afterwards it will be time to experiment.

Regards,

Jochen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:43 am 
Site Admin

I'm glad this copy is now working.

As it's both of your computers that are having a problem and I have not received any other similar help requests, it must be something specific to your machines. Perhaps something else that's been recently installed on both your machines is causing the problem?