www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The F3 function key
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:42 pm 

I have purchased a new Laptop on which I am running Virtual Acorn RiscPC StrongArm Adjust. With all the other PC,s I have owned and upon which I have run VA I have been able to use the F3 key to "Save" instead of clicking over the "save" icon. My question is how can I get my Laptop to do this when running VA , because the key is programmed to increase the brightness of the screen? However, thankfully the F12 + Shift + CTRl function as normal to shut down VA.

Post subject: Re: The F3 function key
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

You will need to alter the settings for that key. There may be a settings/configure application in the Control Panel that can turn off the brightness control.
I would contact the supplier/manufacturer of the laptop and ask before spending too much time looking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:35 pm 

Thank you for your reply, I have contacted HP and they advise me that they do not support Virtual Acorn and I should contact the manufacturer of the programme. I asked if the keys could be programmed but they were not helpful. I will post the problem on PC Advisors help forum, they are usually quite helpful. I will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:18 pm 

I have just received this reply via the PC Advisor Help Forum.
"If I recall correctly, you first need to hold down the FN key (bottom left). That'll make the F keys operate like you expect them to."
Yes it does work. I did not know anything about the "fn" key next to the "CTRL" key!!

:D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Allan Williams wrote:
I have contacted HP and they advise me that they do not support Virtual Acorn and I should contact the manufacturer of the programme.

I can see that HPs front line support are on the ball with regard to function keys. You may find a number of others keys have different functions when used with the Fn key. If the Fn key is a different colour then look for the same colour around the rest of the keyboard.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 pm 

Thanks for the info. yes the keys on my desktop are coloured blue as is the FN key, The key on the Laptop is not, I had not noticed that before!!!