www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unknown disc drive icon has appeared on the Icon Bar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:29 pm 

Unknown disc drive icon has appeared on the Icon Bar. When it is clicked to open it, I get the following error message from the Filer."Error when reading HostFS::nerated.$ - Not Found". I have looked at the !Boot option in Discs and nothing appear there. I have searched for a file named "nerated" on both my PC harddrives, (C and E) nothing found. I believe it to be a boot up fault but have no idea how to correct it. I have closed VARisc PC and re booted with the same problem. I have re booted the PC still no change. The Icon is identical to the HardDrive4 on the IconBar in VA but with this other name.
Is there a way to correct this without having to uninstall and re install VA?
Help please, I look forward to reading replies.

Post subject: Re: Unknown disc drive icon has appeared on the Icon Bar
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:33 pm 

We've replicated your symptoms and it looks like you've inadvertently ge[nerated] a spurious drive mount.

To fix it, could you try the following:

- Put VirtualRPC into a window.
- Select Tools-Options-Hostfs.
- In the left-hand 'Mount' column, look for a drive called "nerated".
- Click on it to select it.
- (As a matter of interest, note what is written in the Path: writable icon.)
- Then click in turn on Remove, Apply and OK.
- Close down VirtualRPC and re-start it (a Reset is not sufficient).
- All being well, the spurious drive will have disappeared from the icon bar.

Please let us know what was in the Path: line and how you get on. If this doesn't work, there are other ways to do it.

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:27 pm 

Thank you for the suggestion, but sadly it does not work. the only entry in Hostfs is the correct one for HardDisc4 with its path in C:\program files\VA\ etc.,

I look forward to any further thoughts you may have.

Allan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 am 

In that case, let's try and fix it via Windows:

- Open the Model configuration file for whichever ARM core emulation you are using (ARM710, ARM7500 or StrongARM). For StrongARM, for example, the path is C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-AdjustSA\Models\StrongARM RISC OS Adjust (Jit)\Model.cfg

- Double-click on the Model.cfg file to load it into (say) NotePad or WordPad.

- Look for the sub-section titled [HostFS]. The line starting Mount0 should show the details of your default HardDisc4 mount.

- Is there another line saying something like Mount1 = "nerated 'nerated' bootopt= ..." and so on?

- If there is, select this line of text, delete it and re-save the Model file.

- Close down VirtualRPC and re-start it. Fingers crossed - does the "nerate" drive appear or not?

If there is no such line in the Model.cfg file, and the spurious 'drive' still appears, the next easiest solution would be simply to replace the Model.cfg file (for the ARM core emulation you are using) with a 'clean' back-up copy and re-start VirtualRPC, re-configuring VirtualRPC (Ram etc) if necessary.

If you don't have a back-up copy handy, please email the existing Model file to us at toms at ndirect.co.uk and we'll see if we can spot the problem. HTH.

Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

I very much doubt the problem is with the various model(s).cfg files and I strongly advise against altering them without being 150% sure you know what you are doing.

A far more likely explanation would be that the mount has been accidentally (although I'm not sure how) created via DrivePop. Probably the easiest way to check would be to load the file:

HostFS::Harddisc4.$.!Boot.Choices.Users.Single.HostMounts

into Edit and see if you can see the offending mount. If you can then simply delete the entire line that defines the mount. Now save the file. Shutdown and quit VirtualRPC then run VirtualRPC again and see if the mount has been removed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:12 pm 

Thank you Aaron, but have tried that and the message above still no joy.

Allan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

If the mount isn't showing up from the HostMounts file then check via DrivePop. Click menu on the DrivePop icon on the iconbar. Click on 'new'. See if you can select this mount from the menu button. If so then you should be able to remove it.

If you are running Vista or Windows 7 make sure you don't have Windows User Account Control Enabled.