www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pros and cons of different processor models
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:49 am 

I read somewhere on the forum that the Arm7500 model can use more than 8M video memory, and indeed I now have it working with 1920x1200 and 16m colours, which the StrongArm version cannot do. I also found to my surprise that on the Arm7500 version the wheel on my mouse now scrolls - the entire boot sequence etc is identical in both cases, so it is clearly a difference in how the emulation is done. I cannot see any significant speed differences either, so my question is: are there any significant advantages in using VA as StrongArm over using it as Arm7500? If not, then the Arm7500 seems to be a more practical solution for my needs.

Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of different processor models
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Some applications (e.g. FireFox) require a StrongARM (or later) processor, or they won't run. Other apps, especially those related to audio/video, will run quicker on the StrongARM as they use the long divide/multiply instructions that were introduced after the Arm7 and Arm7500 were designed/built.

If what you are using works OK then stick with the Arm7500.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 pm 

Is there any way the StrongARM version can work with a wheel mouse (scrolling windows etc)?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:32 am 
Site Admin

Not currently. The StrongARM and Arm710 emulations reproduce the RiscPC class hardware, which uses a Quadrature mouse. The ARM7500 emulation reproduces an Acorn A7000, which uses a PS2 mouse. The PS2 mouse design supports scrolling (I am using one on a machine right now), the Quadrature mouse design doesn't support scrolling, which isn't suprising as Quadrature is a very outdated design.