www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with Omniclient/Lanman98
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:43 pm 

I am using VirtualRPC-AdjustSA (version 1.7). After setting it up with LanMan98 I found that all my samba shares worked OK except for one, which connects to my home directory on my linux server. Attempting to open this directory causes VirtualRPC to lock up before the directory is displayed, using more and more processor % until it is killed. It is really wierd and I cannot find a solution! I have never had a problem opening the same directory on my Iyonix.]

Any ideas?

The directory does not crash on the Iyonix or on Risc OS Six (under VA). Unfortunately I cannot use RO6 as I need Font Directory which does not work with it ...

It is also quite fine on my older VA (release 1.3) on my laptop.

Post subject: Re: Problem with Omniclient/Lanman98
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:40 am 
Site Admin

This sounds like the RISC OS 4.39 bug related to opening directories with a large number of files.

We can check this fairly easily. The bug only shows up with directories that have more than 250+ items when RISC OS is running with above 170 (ish) MB of RAM. So, put the RAM allocation down to 128Mb by editing the relevent VirtualRPC config file. Now run VirtualRPC and try connecting to the share. If it opens correctly then it's this annoying bug :(

You will probably find that you can set the RISC OS RAM allocation to 160Mb without the problem showing up. If the fault doesn't happen at 160Mb then try upping the RAM in 4MB steps until you hit the problem. You can then drop the RAM back by 4MB.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:00 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed it works fine with 160Mb. At 168 I got all kinds of other weird errors on my boot up sequence, so I left it at 160. I hope it will be enough for my requirements. My initial experiments with my largest application indicate that it will be more than enough.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Glad that's fixed it.