www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New screen mode?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:19 pm 

Hi,

I seem to remember there being an "Auto mode" feature which would fit the RO desktop to your monitor's native resolution. Am I delusional, or why can't I find it now? (Is it, maybe, simply missing in RO6?)

My very minor problem is that my new notebook has a resolution of 1600 x 900. The closest VA comes to this is 1440 x 900.
I find this unsatisfactory:
-With hardware scaling enabled, there is a small - but with some fonts quite noticeable - deterioration of crispness/clarity.
-With it disabled, there are black strips about 2 cm wide on either side of the RO Desktop (in Full screen mode).

I did manage to build a mode that fits my screen with !MakeModes, but this gives me a slightly queasy feeling, as its values cause !MakeModes to show a lot of Red = Warning.
The only reason I still use that mode is that the 1600 x 1200 mode I modified also produced a lot of Red in !MakeModes.

So: Is there an AutoMode feature somewhere where I simply can't find it? If not: is it safe to use the !MakeModes screen mode even though !MM complains a lot about it?
(I took the mode 1600 x 1200, 75 Hz, changed the "y" resolution to 900, multiplied the pixel rate by 9/12 and left every other setting as it was.)

Regards,

Jochen

Post subject: Re: New screen mode?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

It's in the manual :D

Being serious, it's integrated into the !Configure system. Double click on !Boot, then go to Display (Monitor on some versions of RISC OS) and you should find the AutoMode plugin. Provided you have the physical resolution of the display you can then make a set of optimised screen mode definitions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:47 pm 

Plug-In? Could that simply be something I don't have?

!Boot / Display / Monitor opens a window with the entries

Driver - VIDC

Monitor - Undetected

Use monitor Definition File - ticked
Unticking simply means that I am left with just two VGA screen modes.

No Auto Mode that I can see.

...and I must really be blind, because I could find Auto Mode neither in the Virtual Acorn manual nor in the RISC OS 6 user guide.

Regards,

Jochen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

I presume that you have updated to RISC OS 6?

In which case the plugin might not have been copied over. So it will still be lurking in your old !Boot sequence in one of the Hook folders. Try copying it over into the new Boot - however it might not run on the latest versions of RISC OS 6.