www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble transferring VA to a new machine
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:46 pm 

Hi,

after my old notebook "died", I am currently in the process of getting its replacement into shape.
With VA I seem to have made a mistake - on the old machine, VA had been installed into a directory "Program Files".
I looked at C: on my new (German language) notebook, and didn't find that directory, instead there were two directories "Programme" and "Programme (x86)".
A look inside both showed that all programs I had so far installed on the new Win 7 machine could be found in ...(x86), so I copied the VirtualAcorn directory from my backup there as well, then ran VA's Installation program and obtained a new unlock code from Aaron.
Everything seemed to go well, until I tried a file operation: everything from Rename to Delete is answered with "access violation".
So, I moved the whole installation to "Programme" - and was asked for a new unlock code.
("Programme" would probably have been the correct choice of directory, because when I tried to create a new directory "Program Files" I was told "Programme already exists" ; blasted Windows!)... but why doesn't "Programme (x86)" work?

Any idea what's to be done?

Regards,

Jochen

Post subject: Re: Trouble transferring VA to a new machine
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry that you are having a problem.

Firstly it might well be worth putting VRPC where it would "normally" live:

c:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-AdjustSA

If you have to make these folders by hand that should be fine.

The Access Violation errors are caused by either you using an account (under Windows) that doesn't have the privellages needed. It's best to use an Admin account. You haven't said what version of Windows you are running, but I would also disabled User Account Control from the Windows Control Panel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:41 pm 

Hi, Aaron,

thanks for your prompt reply.

To answer the points you raised:

-Win 7, all available updates installed.

-As I found when I tried to create "Program Files", Win 7 apparently treats the German name "Programme" internally as "Program Files", so unlike on my previous Vista machine I can't create an additional directory just for Virtual Acorn.

-The move to "Programme" made the "Enter unlock code" box pop up, and the code you sent to me on Friday was called "invalid".
Is there any way around this, or will I need a new code?

-As I am currently setting up the new machine one program at a time (rather than using the "machine independent" Restore of my backup software), I always log on as Administrator.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Win 7's UAC, unlike Vista's, doesn't cause any problems for VA.

Regards,

Jochen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

I am getting some differing feedback with regard to the release version(s) of Windows 7. Some machines seem to be OK, but others show similar problems to Vista.

So even though you are using Win7 I recommdn disabling User Account Control.

Moving a VirtualRPC around on a harddisc will not cause it to ask to be unlocked again. More likely it's a disabled network interface that's causing the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:18 pm 

Thanks, Aaron,

spot on as usual.

I DISabled UAC and ENabled WiFi, moved VA to the new directory - was still told that the program had to be unlocked but this time the code you sent last Friday was accepted: I changed WiFi and UAC back to their previous settings, and now everything works just as it should.

Regards,

Jochen