www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nice Points
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:26 am 

I'm a new user, having just made the leap to an eeepc 1002HA, and after a small learning curve I'm noticing some rather cool points about VRPC-Adjust.

This machine, a 10in screen notebook with trackpad, is small and the trackpad takes some getting used to. It's the trackpad with 2-finger zooming in Windows, and here's a good one: three fingers on the pad, move them all up a bit together, and the root dir opens up.

Back to VRPC, I don't know how much of what I experience here is due to the trackpad type, but in a filer window, double-click on the titlebar - or one of the resize buttons - and the window can be moved around with one finger on the trackpad.

Double-clicking a file or dir will initiate a move/copy, but I still don't know whether it takes a fast double-clic or a slow one. I always seem to initiate moves when I don't intend to.

But back to the positives, the bin app - Recyclone - will be useful.

and maybe I'll get around to adding a user.

That's it for now. Hoping to get some help with filetypes. When I copy apps from RO 5
.14 to VRPC the files inside are all fff.

Brian

Post subject: Re: Nice Points
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

If files are appearing as text, then you aren't copying them properly :)

I am not sure how you are copying the files (but I guess it's not using Acorn Access/ShareFS). I suggest putting the stuff you want to copy inside an archive (ArcFS, SparkFS, Zipee) before writing the files to whatever device you are using for the copying (CD, Pen Drive, Floppy etc).

For anything that's already copied, you might find that !TypeFind (HardDisc4.$.Filing) might recover the filetypes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:21 am 

My PhotoDesk CD shows as text type the files inside the install app. Is this normal behavious? I don't like having to go around retyping files.,esp as I'd have to copy to disc to do it.

Bri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 am 
Site Admin

How are you looking at the PhotoDesk CD? Via CDFS or via HostFS? (if you aren't sure look at the title bar of the filer window)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:24 pm 

Aaron wrote:
How are you looking at the PhotoDesk CD? Via CDFS or via HostFS? (if you aren't sure look at the title bar of the filer window)

HostFS::driveE.$

Is this because I disabled some cd driver software option?
I recall an instruction from you here on this forum about that (for machines with no optical cd/dvd drive).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Right. Your machine doesn't have an internal CD drive. So CDFS can't be used to access a CD. HostFS will read it (as you have discovered), but as it's being read by Windows what you see is what Windows would see, all the RISC OS filetypes are missing. So try using !TypeFind to see if it can restore the filetypes for the files after they have been copied.