www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recent Crash on Windows 7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:35 pm 

Hi All,

For the past month I have been running VA on Windows 7 RC (Build 7100, 32bit) with no problems.

For the last week, VA crashes each time I try to run it.
As soon as I click on VA, I get the error "Acorn RiscPC Emulator with RISC OS Adjust has stopped working"

I tracked it down in the windows event log, and the error is shown as;

"Faulting application name: VirtualRPC-AdjustSA.exe, version: 1.6.0.0, time stamp: 0x45799d29
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7100.0, time stamp: 0x49eea66e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00054335
Faulting process id: 0x1700
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca0c9ad60cc05c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-AdjustSA\VirtualRPC-AdjustSA.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll"

I have tried uninstalling VA, deleting the VA folder in Program Files, and reinstalling, but this hasn't helped.
I have also tried running in XP compatability mode, and running as Administrator.

Using system restore, rolling windows back to last month hasn't helped either.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Rob.

Post subject: Re: Recent Crash on Windows 7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:34 pm 

Hi Rob,

I do have a similar, but not the same, issue. I'm running Vista and am using VRPC since Januari this year.

Earlier this week I have used VirtualRPC-AdjustSA without problems, but I just discovered that today it no longer works:
Faulting application VirtualRPC-AdjustSA.exe,
version 1.6.0.0, time stamp 0x45799d29,
faulting module VirtualRPC-AdjustSA.exe,
version 1.6.0.0, time stamp 0x45799d29,
exception code 0xc0000005,
fault offset 0x0009fc04,
process id 0x1604,
application start time 0x01ca0d27bf2a55d3.

I didn't have the time yet to investigate further. Will do so later this weekend.
The only security patches loaded last Thursday on my system are for IE8 (KB972636 and a IE8 Language Pack). I guess these patches would not cause a security violation (0xc0000005) for VRPC.

BTW: there is a FAQ for a ntdll.dll issue, which says that you need to turn off DEP for VirtualAcorn. For me DEP is still off for VRPC, how is tour setting?

I'll post an update after I've time to investigate further.

Regards,

Jan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:23 pm 

Hi Jan,

I've just been reading the Vista troubleshooting on the VA site.
I have disabled DEP and I'm getting the same problem.
Also I have deleted the VA folder from "VirtualStore" in my profile.

I have run VA in compatability mode for Windows 98/ME and now I'm getting the VA unlock screen, only thing is, it won't unlock using the code I was sent. Even though it's the same machine.

I'll send an Email off for a new reg code.

Thanks for the reply,
Rob.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:56 pm 

Hi Rob,

Somehow my problem has gone. This morning it was the first time I saw tis AppCrash, then I went to a monthly RiscOS user group meeting this afternoon, so I took my PC (a desktop) with me and there, also despite numerous power downs and reboots, I did have the AppCrash.
Now I've returned home and no problem at all anymore.

The only thing that could be is that either my video cable is on the other of the two DVI ports or my USB keyboard/mouse connection is on another port. No other piece of hardware has changed in between, nor software installed or removed.

BTW: one of the checks that VRPC does to check the validity of the unlock code is check your ethernet adapters and MAC addresses of these adapters (it creates a checksum using this info). When you change your adapters e.g. add one, remove one, change MAC addresses (most cards allow them to be changed in their Properties) you're checksum is invalid and your unlock won't work anymore.
This also happens if you add virtual adapters by installing VMWare, Microsoft VirtualPC (or Server), install certain VPN clients that create virtal NICs etc.

What I did was save the output of a DOS 'IPCONFIG /ALL' command at the moment my unlock key was first validated so I can always return to the same situation by temporarily disabling adapters or changing software-wise the MAC address of the VPN client back to what is was, as it can change when I have to install (company enforced) an update of the client.

Best regards,

Jan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:12 pm 

Hi Jan,

Just noticed my Bluetooth Adapter creates a network connection, that was disabled.
I Enabled this again, and now I can use my old unlock code again!

So now VA is working again!
Excellent!

Rob.