www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: UAC - Once it's been on it has to stay on?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:33 pm 

Hi,

I'm the belts and braces type, and like to use every bit of security possible for my computers (for example, for my three computers I've got six external hard discs - two for each - which I use for alternating backups), so until now - except for the period in which I first installed VRPC - I've had UAC on.

Having read one of the threads, I've just tried to run VRPC with UAC off - with rather startling results:

The first time I ran VRPC after re-booting my Vista Home / SP2 notebook, it appeared to crash my machine completely - the screen resolution had changed to something like 640*480, VRPC didn't run and a window moved about the screen left a trail of windows behind.

Another re-boot, and everything is more or less back to normal - all the files I created or edited today (before switching UAC off) are still there, BUT an Ovation document with 32 pupils' photos, each with the name in a frame beneath the photo - now handles extremely sluggishly - every time I scroll, each photo that appears on the screen is rendered individually, and a line of six photos takes roughly five seconds to appear,...

...AND my own version of the hibernation problem is still there ("On resume, display logon screen" is Off).

(At least I think it's the hibernation problem - I close the notebook and wait a little; this puts the notebook into a "Ruhezustand" - "State of Rest"; I suppose that's what you call "Hibernation".)

What happens - with UAC either on or off - is that VRPC in a window works without a problem, but in full screen mode the notebook wakes up to a black screen with a mouse pointer; pressing a number of keys eventually brings up the task bar - with the rest of the screen still black - with VRPC's icon; on VRPC's menu, the only option not greyed out is "Schlie??en" - "Close".

If I click on that, I get "Program is not responding...", then the PC is back to normal.

Is this because...

-Running VRPC fore a time while UAC is active will screw everthing up to such an extent that switching UAC off will have no effect (or actually an adverse effect), or

-because SP2 carries some further "Goodies" which make trouble for VRPC?

Regards,

Jochen

Post subject: Re: UAC - Once it's been on it has to stay on?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:30 am 
Site Admin

None of the above, although I am still not sure what the cause is. This was very common on early copies of Vista. When service pack 1 was released it resolved the issue for most (90%+) of users.

However you seem to be having several problems. I suggest making sure that UAC (User Account Control) is off, then un-installing the VirtualRPC. Then delete anything that's got left behind so that the:

C:\program files\virtualacorn\virtualrpc-adjustsa

folder is empty. Then re-install VirtualRPC and make sure UAC remains switched off.