www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CyKey keyboard.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:29 pm 

In the olden days Frank Muir (one time script writing partner of Denis Norden) used to advertise the Microwriter, a self contained word processor which incorporated a one handed chord keyboard. In the heyday of the BBC Micro a version of this keyboard was marketed under the name of Quinkey for use with the Beeb, as an alternative keyboard. I bought one and became very proficient with it. To my surprise late last year I discovered that the keyboard still exists, although its design and name have changed. It is still a one handed chord design and is known as CyKey (pronounced psyche). Naturally I bought one. It works by IR, the keyboard sending the signal to a receiver which plugs into a USB port on the computer. It needs no software and I have used it successfully on Ubuntu Linux and both Windows XP and Vista for entering text into editors, word processors, and indeed anywhere text needs to be input. However it will not function properly with any of my three versions of VRPC, all Adjust, one SA. For example, it will enter text but only after the key has been hit several times, making it unusable in practice as a text input device.
I took this up with the manufacturer, https://sites.google.com/site/cykeybellaire, and his reply was: "The interface is exactly the same (to the PC) as an external USB keyboard. It is the Human Interface resident software (MAC, XP, VISTA and Linux) so perhaps the VRPC handling has a quirky register or something." Conventional USB keyboards do work normally on my machines.
So, has anyone else used a CyKey keyboard with VRPC? If so, did it function properly or how was it made to work correctly?
Thanks for reading this far.
I look forward to receiving any useful comments.
Keith.

Post subject: Re: CyKey keyboard.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

I too remember the Quinkey. Skipping the rest...

VRPC uses DirectX for input. Hence if a normal keyboard works OK and the CyKey doesn't then its drivers are not properl DirectX compatible.