www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Random carriage returns
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:31 pm 

From time to time when I am working on the VA, unexpected carriage returns start to be introduced. This is usually fairly obvious such as a document suddenly scrolling out of view, or continuous "beeps" when viewing a message in Pluto. Sometimes unwanted effects are introduced if a dialogue box is open when the problem starts such as "Restart" automatically being returned when I am trying to shut the VA down. Often a single tap on the escape key will fix the problem for a while but once it has occurred within a session it will inevitably come back.
My first thought was that I had a keyboard problem but unless I have three keyboards with identical problems this isn't the case. I am now thinking that this is through a clash with something on the XP side but so far I can find nothing conclusive.
Has anyone else either seen this or can anyone throw any light?
Thanks
Virtual RPC-AdjustSA
RISC OS 4.39 and 6.14

Post subject: Re: Random carriage returns
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

There was a problem with some VirtualRPCs where a key would get "stuck" down when pressed. Pressing the same key again would "release" it and stop the stream of letters. Strangely a common example was nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn (if you see what I mean).

Firstly make sure that this VirtualRPC is fully up to date with all the updates from the downloads section of our website. Make sure that you carefully follow the instructions. Find the first download that applies. Download it, then install it. Then do the next one - do not skip any of them.

It might also be worth taking a backup of the current VRPC install before doing this. I generally recommend burning the entire VRPC install directory to a DVD (not a CD as that doesn't support deep enough directory structures).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:55 pm 

Aaron wrote:
Strangely a common example was nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn (if you see what I mean).

Ah! The old cryptic crossword clue joke.
I checked that the VRPC was fully up to date - it was. Shortly after that I installed RISC OS 6.14 and the problem remained so I started logging what programs were running on the XP side when the problem occurred. I found that when I had used Firefox I frequently saw the problem so I changed my default browser to Google Chrome and avoided Firefox as far as possible. Since doing that I have not seen the problem unless I deliberately load FF to check the rendering of a site I am working on.
Coincidence? Maybe and I shall continue to monitor it and should it recur I shall log what is going on and post more information.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting the information. FireFox might be installing something in the keyboard driver chain to detect certain keypresses (probably for extended keyboards) but it *shouldn't* matter. It only goes to prove that computers are very strange devices.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:17 pm 

Aaron wrote:
Thanks for posting the information. FireFox might be installing something in the keyboard driver chain to detect certain keypresses (probably for extended keyboards) but it *shouldn't* matter. It only goes to prove that computers are very strange devices.

I do have several plugins running in FireFox and it would be time consuming to eliminate them all but I am 98% certain that this is at the root of the problem. I have just finished a FF/Firebug session and the problem has reappeared for the first time in several days.