www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crashing on Screen Save or Hibernate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:56 am 

When Windows screen saver or hibernation takes place, VRPC does not recover when Windows reverts back and gives the error:

"Failed to create primary surface (0x8876024e)"

and freezes :( .

Mohsen

Post subject: Re: Crashing on Screen Save or Hibernate
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

The failiure to recover from a Hibernate under Vista is a known problem with Vista itself - for most users this problem was resolved when SP1 rolled out. Even on a machine that's affected the fault might not happen with VRPC in a Window when the Hibernate is started.

Crashing on return from a screen saver is unusual, but I have seen this a couple of times before. In these cases the cause was a screensaver that used DirectX, but didn't exit properly (or that on exit caused Windows not to restore all the DirectX buffer pointers). Try setting the screen saver to just "blank" the screen. If this resolves the fault, then it's the screensaver (or the god awful Vista) that's at fault.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:12 am 

mohsen wrote:
When Windows screen saver or hibernation takes place, VRPC does not recover when Windows reverts back and gives the error:

"Failed to create primary surface (0x8876024e)"

and freezes :( .

Mohsen

Try your luck with VRPC in full screen mode, that evades the restart crash here. That is Vista SP1, NVidia GeForce 8600M GT.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:18 pm 

I am using Vista SP1 and the crash after Screen Saver still happens.

1. This does not happen if VRPC is in Full Screen Mode.

2. It only happens if the ScreenSaver option "On resume, display logon screen" is selected.

If the ScreenSaver option "On resume, display logon screen" is selected then irrespective of type of screen saver (even blank screen), VRPC cannot recover RISC-OS. With this option unticked, there is no problem.

It is to be noted that VRPC window and option menu are still selectable and operational. It is RISC OS that dies. The "Hard Reset" and "Break" actions do not help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Thanks very much for that - it will probably solve the problem for the couple of other users who were still having Vista Hibernate restart problems with VirtualRPC.

What's interesting is that it is the Screensaver that's causing the problem. I suspec that when the ScreenSaver login window opens it breaks all the DirectX buffer pointers. We can see that these are actually being correctly restored by Vista (in the same way that XP does) as VRPC will re-start after a hibernate if the:

"On resume, display logon screen"

option is unticked. I will post this answer on the other thread about this problem....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:10 am 

mohsen wrote:
I am using Vista SP1 and the crash after Screen Saver still happens.

1. This does not happen if VRPC is in Full Screen Mode.

2. It only happens if the ScreenSaver option "On resume, display logon screen" is selected.

If the ScreenSaver option "On resume, display logon screen" is selected then irrespective of type of screen saver (even blank screen), VRPC cannot recover RISC-OS. With this option unticked, there is no problem.

Sadly this tip does not help here. I do not have any problem with VRPC and the Vista screen saver, it keeps working whether the "on resume" option is set or not.

The option was already unset here and VRPC continues to fail after hibernation.

Variations in behaviour are probably due to differing NVidia cards, I have an 8600M GT.

Thanks for posting the tip.