www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing the default boot drive location
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:39 am 

Please forgive me if this topic had already been discussed or is covered in the documentation as I did not have time to read, and just installed the application.

When the application is installed, it defaults to using drive "C" for the boot drive (HardDisc4).

As I am running out of space on drive "C", I want to change the location of HardDisc4 to another folder on drive "D" permanently and remove the one located in drive "C".

I am sure this is simple.

Apologies again for my laziness.

Regards

Mohsen

Post subject: Re: Changing the default boot drive location
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:24 am 
Site Admin

You can just move the entire VRPC install to somewhere else (although this will "break" the links from the Windows Start Menu and Backdrop). All the file associations inside the VRPC distribution are local.

If you just want to move the "HardDisc4" folder then you will need to:

Move it to the new location.
Start up VRPC (which won't then Boot into RISC OS)
From the VRPC "Tools" Menu click on "Options"
Go to the HostFS Tab
In the scrolling section select "HardDisc4" (under the word "Mount")
The details for HardDisc4 will appear in the bottom of the window
Click on the "..." button to open a Windows "Browse For Folder" dialogue
Find the new locatyion of "HardDisc4"
Click OK
Click Apply then OK in the VRPC Options.HostFS window
Quit and re-load VRPC

Having said this I think it's better to keep the whole thing in one place.

(Final note : the VRPC installer does give you a choice of where to install)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:40 pm 

Great. :D

It is working now with the Boot drive "HardDisc4" on drive "D" and the application in the original location in Drive "C".

Thanks

Mohsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Glad that's worked. Note that with this change (i.e. the VRPC and the harddisc in seperate locations) further VRPC upgrades from our website will not install correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:29 pm 

Aaron wrote:
............. further VRPC upgrades from our website will not install correctly.

I guess I have now been warned :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:12 pm 

Thats one the first things I did also, I don't really understand why the harddisc is stored internally within program files.
Its like using !Paint or !Draw and storing any files you create instead the !Paint directory.

This would also overcome one of the Vista issues with using UAC and VirtualStore - if only the the Virtual Acorn cfg files are in Program Files different users could specify different mouse/sound/etc settings but still use the same harddisc4 (as long as its outside %ProgramFiles% and all uses have read/write access) or potentially allow different windows users have there own complete copy of harddisc4.

I used to use Red Squirrel and had a set of different VMs some of which using there own separate HardDisc.

I can see where such a change will make updating more difficult as you may now need to apply updates to mutliple harddisc locations? As I'm new to VRPC can I ask what format the upgrades are in and can users apply the windows/riscos patches manually (for people like me and mohsen)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

You can certinaly move the entirity of the VirtualRPC installation, normally:

C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-xxxx

to another location, for example into "My Documents". As long as you tell any of the Update apps from our website the new location then the updates will install. If you "break" up the installation, for example with "HardDisc4" in a different location to the main VirtualRPC executable then the updates will not install. Updates are in the main Windows executables holding on the diff of files needing to be updated.

VRPC install into Program Files because that was the correct place under Win 2000/XP. We did consider moving things when Vista came out, but then by that time there were 1000's of copies already shipped that installed into Program Files.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:51 pm 

I'd figured that and will move my install outside "C:\Program Files\" to some other location so updates work.

Maybe you could add it as an option in future to select different location for the Application to be installed and where the harddisc4 is installed (this could always be advanced option on installer and updater, to allow existing simple scheme still work) - this may also be needed if more people keep UAC enabled (then again just storing it outside ProgramFiles will do that)

This is typical for most other applications of this type - eg most other VM applications on Windows or databases - the application is in Program files but the actual data files are installed in some other location.