www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Unable to Create Primary Surface
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:00 am 
Site Admin

I am sorry that you've decided to move away from VirtualRPC, it's a shame. I suspect that future updates to Vista, or more correctly the drivers for the graphics adapter, will resolve your one remaining issue.

With regard to the A9 Home, the reported disc corrution problems seem to be related (from what I've read and been told) to MessengerPro. Quitting this from the iconbar before shutting down the machine seems to resolve the problem.

I hope you get on better with the Iyonix, although I suggest keeping a spare power supply handy as the Iyonix machines tend to get through them at quite a rate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:07 pm 

Aaron wrote:
I am sorry that you've decided to move away from VirtualRPC, it's a shame. I suspect that future updates to Vista, or more correctly the drivers for the graphics adapter, will resolve your one remaining issue.

I think it is a bit of a shame too, the aim was all computing on the one machine and VRPC does integrate well with its host. If a fix does appear then that will change things.

Aaron wrote:
With regard to the A9 Home, the reported disc corrution problems seem to be related (from what I've read and been told) to MessengerPro. Quitting this from the iconbar before shutting down the machine seems to resolve the problem.

It was a long time ago but I do not think MPro was in use on the A9home at the time. The A9home needs it finished, bug free that is, OS before it gets considered again here.

Aaron wrote:
I hope you get on better with the Iyonix, although I suggest keeping a spare power supply handy as the Iyonix machines tend to get through them at quite a rate.

It would have been nice if the A9home could have been used as replacement for the elderly Iyonix.

To be honest I no longer use RISC OS as much as I did in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:46 pm 

Aaron wrote:
David wrote:
One can take a view on UAC but it is very, very wrong that VRPC forces the decision.

That's a very silly statement and demonstrates quite clearly that you haven't taken a blind bit of notice of what I've said to you.

I don't think it's a silly statement.

It is an inditement of an, in many ways excellent, piece of software that it requires its users to configure their systems in one, specific, VA-dictated way. Personally, I had a choice about upgrading to Vista and I did so in full knowledge of this weakness of VRPC so I'm not complaining, directly ;). However, I can imagine plenty of cases where the decision won't be in people's hands (e.g. it's pretty hard already to buy a new PC without Vista).

Quote:
UAC contains a number of features, these are not independent, they are all or none, which is not an ideal situation.

The part of UAC you are refering to is the VirtualStore.

Is there a reason why VRPC can't behave like other Windows apps and store the user-editable bits of its configuration in the Users/<username>/AppData structure?

[snip]

Quote:
This can be "circumvented" by moving the VirtualAcorn HardDisc4 to the users Documents folder

This seems like a sensible default setup, in any case. HardDisc4 is going to contain lots of end-user documents (and no Windows executables!) and therefore fits more comfortably into the "documents" structure than the "programs" structure.

Quote:
Since then work has been progressing on the PC version(s) of VRPC and a number of new components are in Beta.

This is excellent news :) I sincerely hope mouse scrolling and pointer-synchronisation are going to be re-instated :)

Elsewhere, David wrote:
Yes I do, to answer the OP's questions, "Has anyone else encountered it? Is there a solution?".

Thanks, that's appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 am 
Site Admin

The problem with User Account Control is that it doesn't work properly. If it did then it would actually provide a very useful system. Each user logging onto Vista would not only "see" their customised Vista settings, but also their customised RISC OS ones.

As I explained earlier the issue is that with UAC enabled Windows read from "Program Files", but writes to the "Virtual Store". This is ridiculous. If it did both, i.e. Read and Write, to the users specific copies of the files in the VirtualStore it would be a very useful feature. As it stands it needs to be disabled because it doesn't work properly. That's not the fault of VirtualAcorn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:42 pm 

FWIW I've had the same error on my laptop (but haven't gone through checking everything yet, so it might not be worth me saying anything). It's only happened (so far) on a mode change, and only when I've had the laptop connected to an external monitor.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:58 am 
Site Admin

With regard to the "Hibernate" problem on this thread - a possible solution has been found by mohlson:

Untick the screen saver's:

"On resume, display logon screen"

option button. With this change VRPC should now recover from a hibernate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:15 am 

Aaron wrote:
With regard to the "Hibernate" problem on this thread - a possible solution has been found by mohlson:

Untick the screen saver's:

"On resume, display logon screen"

option button. With this change VRPC should now recover from a hibernate.

Unfortunately this workaround is not relevant here. The "Unable to create primary surface" error occurs here depressingly regularly at various times, when switching round between RISC OS and Windows (e.g. the screensaver is not active), though it doesn't happen always and I've been unable to identify much of a pattern. :(

In fact this problem has become really frustrating as I can't feel safe about switching to and from Windows. Even if I save all my work before the switch (which is irritating by itself) I still have to reorganise my desktop with all my open windows and documents when I recover from the crash :(

Adam