www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem after re-installing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:36 pm 

Hi Aaron
I have had cause to re-install VRPC-AdjustSA on my laptop (a Dave Atkins special). There was no problem with the program itself, just that I'd done something to cause a couple of 'Object not local' messages during boot up and which I couldn't cure.
I've been through your Tech Support Assistant and the FAQ and the Manual and done a search of this forum but have had no luck.
I intend to upgrade to RISC OS 6.1 so I wanted a completely clean installation with no hang-overs from the previous one. My data and applications are on a separate mount in My Documents so after un-installing the program, I deleted the contents of HardDisc4. I then ran CCleaner to sort out any bits and bobs hanging about in the registry, rebooted the machine and went through the install process. I only installed the main components, the floppy driver and DirectX. I wasn't sure that I needed to do the last two but didn't thik it could do any harm. I hope they aren't famous last words.
I carried out the three upgrades (in order, as instructed) from the download section of your site and replaced DrivePop and SetAccess prior to the OS upgrade.
After one or two self-inflicted hiccoughs, I have a bare setup which operates just fine until I hit <Alt><Return> to put it in a window. The window is largely grey with a blank (black) window outlined in the top left-hand corner. I have a copy of this window if you need to see it. Behind this window is an error message from VRPC saying 'Unknown DirectDraw error (0x80004001)'. Indeed, the same error manifested itself when I first ran VRPC after installation and hit <Alt><Return> to put it into full screen mode.
Clicking on OK doesn't do anything significant and the program becomes unresponsive. Clicking on the windows close icon doesn't seem to do anything or if it does it's doing it very slowly. <Ctrl><Alt><Delete> to bring up the Windows task manager shows two copies of the program running, one with the correct icon and the other with the default .exe icon. Ending either of them brings up the message telling me that the program isn't responding. Telling it to 'End now' does close it down but, again, very slowly. Looking at the running processes tab shows only one copy running and not taking up much CPU time - perhaps 6 or 7%. After about half a minute, dumprep.exe gets into its stride, works itself into frenzy of about 15% CPU time and VRPC closes down at a crawl with the window disappearing from the top down over a period of 5 or 6 seconds.
I've re-installed the program to try and get it working properly but without success. I can send you VA.cfg and (StrongARM) Model.cfg if you need to see them.
Do you have any advice as to where I go from here? No rude answers please! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Most likely your copy of DirectX is corrupted or damaged. From the Windows Start Menu click on Run. Now type DXDiag and hit return.
This will launch the DirectX Diagnostic tool. Make sure it loads OK and then run all the tests. You should have DirectX 9.0c (XP SP2). If it's earlier then upgrade it, if it fails any tests then upgrade it.
If all the tests come back OK then check to see if there are any upgrades to the driver for your graphics card. Note that the graphics card driver and the version of DirectX must match. i.e. if you are running DirectX 9.0c then your graphics card driver MUST support this. Some older chipsets only have drivers up as far as Direct X V8.
Note that VRPC does not use the Windows registry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:40 am 

Thanks for your response, Aaron.
I've now run the diagnostic tool and it passes all the video and audio tests with no problems.
It is DirectX 9.0c and there are no upgrades to the graphics driver. In any case, it was compatible with 9.0c before I un-installed and re-installed VRPC.
I wasn't aware that VRPC didn't involve the registry and there were only a couple of short-cuts flagged up - for the .exe and the manual.
Have you any further suggestions? Ultimately, I'm prepared to re-install Windows (XP Pro SP2) but I don't want to go down that route unless it becomes absolutely necessary.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:17 pm 

Further to my last post, since SP3 has been released for XP, the prospect of reinstalling Windows has become less traumatic because I have downloaded the .iso file and burned it to a CD. I have bitten the bullet and formatted the hard drive, installed Windows and installed VRPC. It seems to be working just fine, so problem solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

I wonder what on earth got broken in Windows to cause the errors? Oh well I am glad it's now fixed and working OK.