www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ASUS EEEPC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:01 pm 

Hi everybody.
I see that R-Comp are selling what appears to be an ASUS EEEPC with VRPC running on it. I'm tempted, but think it would probably be cheaper to buy the EEEPC and install it myself. Can I copy VRPC from the CD to either a memory card or USB stick and install it from that or do I need to use a networked CD-ROM drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

You can certainly copy the entire VRPC CD to a memory stick and then run the installer from it no problem. You will need a new unlock code.
Performance is not bad (considering). It delivers around 85 BogoMips (a 202Mhz SA RiscPC is around 95). I also suggest editing the VRPC Monitor Definition file to remove the highest refresh definition for the mode you are using. The display will then default to 51hz, which will bring you that little bit closer to SA RPC performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:14 pm 

Thanks Aaron.
I'll probably go for the new EEEPC next month then. And I know the rules - when I've got the EEEPC I'll remove VRPC from my wife's laptop (which I don't use since I got the Mac version at Wakefield last year).

Post subject: Re: ASUS EEEPC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:29 am 

Any update on this topic? EeePCs have changed since April'08.

I'm keen on the 10in 1002H model though I haven't bought it yet.

I've just received my VirtualRPC/AdjSA and I see now that system requirements state a graphics card with 2D hardware acceleration.
The 1002H graphics card is DirectX compatible but I don't know about the 2D hardware acceleration. Is this a problem?

Anyone successfully using a newer-model Eeepc/XP and running VA?
I'd appreciate some evulative comments.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure how you can update this topic. VRPC works on Asus Eee Netbooks (provided they are running windows). The faster the processor in the Netbook the faster VRPC will run. I have quite a few users running VRPC on a range of Netbooks - personally I am still using my old Eee 701SD.

Your machine will have hardware 2D acceleration - it's only very specific cards designed typically for CAD purposes that lack 2D (because the machine will have several graphics cards). It's a couple of years since I last encountered one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:09 am 

Well, I got a 1002HA, so far with the standard 1GB RAM, and it seems good.
This model has a smaller battery than the 1002HE, and I notice that I use up the batt quite quickly. There are ways to reduce battery useage using this button which toggle through options such as super-high, high, and battery-saver modes. Which I gather just throttles back the RAM.

Anyway this model is lighter than the HE, which is important to me.

VRPC-AdjSA runs nicely, but the screen modes available are not perfect for this wee 10in screen. Its natural res is 1024x600, and in VA I can choose either 800x600 or 1124x768. I prefer the latter.

I get online via VRPC using Anti-Spam/POPstar and use Pluto for emails.
Any mail that refers to a website rather than start up Netsurf I save the email to Harddisc4, go over to XP, then open the text file and paste the url into a browser within XP. I have a 'shortcut' to harddisc4 on the XP desktop.

Thanks for all the help here.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

I have several comments. Firstly the Eee power modes. These either overclock (Super High) or slow down (battery saver) the CPU clock. You can see this quite easily by selecting each mode in turn and then opending the Control Panel, System option.

Secondly - the standard VRPC screen modes are not always suitable for "odd" sized displays. Simply run !AutoMode by double clicking on !Boot and going to the Display option. Now enter the screen resolution and click on "Save updated MDF". Hey presto a set of correctly sized and speed optimised mode definitions will be added to the normal list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:04 pm 

Excellent screen mode fix, thanks.