www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow startup and disc access
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:00 pm 

Just installed VA ajust on a PC running Vista. It's taking 1min 20secs for VA to reach the working descktop. I have acer laptop running Window XP with VA installed which takes 20secs to due the same. I have PowerBook G4 which takes about 25 secs to load VA.
There seems to be a very slow disc access time on the Vista machine when running VA. The harddrive as a NTFS format where on the Windows XP machine the hardrive as a FAT32 format.
Could the different formats be causing the slow load time.
JV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:28 am 
Site Admin

That starup time is very slow (actually all your startup times are very slow). My Core 2 Duo desktop machine takes 5 seconds, my Core 2 Duo Vista laptop takes about 6 seconds. Even my ancient 1.7Ghz P4 only takes 10 seconds or so.
What processor is in the problem machine?
Are you running VRPC in compatability mode?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:52 pm 

Foregot to switch compatability mode off after entering key code. Now machine runs very fast however when I first started VA this time I got an error message: 'Machine startup has not completed successfully: Route: Socket: Protocol not supported. on clicking on 'Ignore' machine booted to full desktop ok. This message as not apeared again but I am having problems with the network setup.
I will post a new topic when I have investigated a bit more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:30 pm 

When you do post again a little bit more detail of your "problems with the network setup" might help.
i.e. Are you talking about problems with Internet access, or about problems with file sharing, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:23 am 
Site Admin

There is no "network setup" - there is nothing to configure inside VRPC - if you do go changing things then I would imagine that you could have problems as things would no longer work.
VRPC is set to work "out of the box" - consult the Networking chapter in the VirtualAcorn manual.