www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Creating a Big(er) ADFS Disc
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:28 am 

Hi,
I've just created an ADFS disc as per the manual instructions. The manual says this will be 200MB but in fact it's appeared as 50MB. How do I increase the size?
Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:11 am 
Site Admin

An article on how to increase the size of the emulated ADFS hard disc image is in the VirtualAcorn Knowledge base (go to Support from the main page of the website).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:20 pm 

Hi,
Since writing the above post I've switched my VRPC installation, and have just been trying to create a new large ADFS image. I've followed the instructions in the knowledgebase word-for-word but it hasn't worked.
It goes OK until I get to the HForm bit. HForm doesn't suggest the parameters as stated in the knowledgebase article and I always end up with a 47MB disc :(
Thanks,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

I've never had any problems reported with this method and it's always worked for me.
I would suggest moving the old harddisc.hdf file out of the way before altering the VRPC config files to set the larger disc size and then firing up VRPC (at whihc point there will be a pause while the harddisc4.hdf file is created)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:25 pm 

Ah, I worked out the problem! :) Although the instructions in the knowledgebase specifically say to change the ARM7 model file (in the folder where the image file is located), of course this depends on which model you're using - I'm using a StrongARM. Changing that model file has produced the large drive as expected.
There was one remaining niggle however, when asking about the parking cylinder, HForm offered "767" as the default, not "768" as expected. I overwrote it with "768". Is this the right thing to do or will it cause problems with the drive?
Thanks,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:31 am 
Site Admin

With regard to the parking cylinder being changed - I have no idea of this will cause a problem. I've always accepted HForm's suggestions as it knows what it's doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:18 am 

It should not matter what parking cylinder is used because, on Virtual Acorn, an ADFS drive is only a software emulation of a disc drive and there is no physical head to be parked anwhere.
Neither is there any physical disc surface on which to park the (non existent) head.