www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: !DrivePop application hogs cpu
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:26 pm 

Using Martin Avison's !TaskUsage I can see that !DrivePop is using Wimp_PollIdle and not either masking out null reason codes or setting a reasonable time at which it should next get control.
The result is that the app is getting polled many thousand times per second, and using a great deal of the available cpu time. I can't imagine it needs to get control more than once every few seconds.
Please fix this, perhaps with a user-customisable responsiveness setting (which could translate into the number of centiSeconds one was willing to wait for the next poll to occur).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:43 pm 

- sorry I meant to add that the 'error' message that !DrivePop displays when one tries to Quit it is misleading, saying that quitting will cause loss of "all current mounts". As that sounds risky I didn't try it for ages.
But Quitting doesn't seem to affect the normal HostFS mounts I have defined, so I'm guessing that the message only applies to dynamic "pop-up" mounts that DrivePop would add if a new device was plugged in. If someone is going to fix the cpu-hogging problem it'd be good if the message text got clarified at the same time.
So far, I've never had a pop-up mount occur. So it would also be better if the warning message only occurred if you actually have some pop-up mounts at the time you try to Quit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:39 pm 

I would agree with Jeremy.
I suspect the program (v1.31 8th May 2006, which I think is the latest) does use PollIdle ... but falls into the common trap of setting the time to a constant (25 cs) rather than the correct current Monotonic time Plus the constant.
Thus the PollIdle will usually return immediately, using lots of cpu (and hence battery!