www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New user
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:26 pm 

Hi,
I'm a new user of VirtualRPC-AdjustSA. I use it on a new Dell laptop. I use VirtualRPC only in full screen mode. I have a few questions and comments.
When I use StrongARM emulation I can't use a scroll wheel in RISC OS. It works when I use one of the other processor types. Why doesn't it work for StrongARM and is there any advantage to using StrongARM?
The first thing I did was delete the WebsterXL offline demo (I can't stand it and NetSurf is much better :D), but I found that the Virtual Acorn user guide doesn't work in NetSurf. This is because of a mistake in the UserGuide/htm file. Inside FRAMESET, NOFRAMES should come _after_ all the FRAME tags. Moving NOFRAMES to the end of the FRAMESET fixes it.
NetSurf follows the standards closely and they say, "NOFRAMES may be used at the end of the FRAMESET section of the document". http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/fr ... l#h-16.4.1
Anyway, NetSurf is working beautifully on the emulator.
The User Guide recommends running the emulator in 16bbp. Why is this recommended? I have been using it in 16 million colours as I prefer to have true colour. Also, why is it recommended that "hardware scale" is off? What is scaling used for? Why can it be done in software faster than my NVIDIA hardware?
Sometimes shortly after running VirtualRPC, it crashes and says it has encountered an error and lets me send a report to MicroSoft. Is there any point in me using the option to send them a report? I have not sent the report so far. Generally this crash only happens within the first 30 seconds of running VirtualRPC. I start it in full screen mode.
I can ping other computers on my network by IP address but I can't ping them by host name (as set up in Configure > Network > Hosts). I get the error "Unknown host".
Overall, I am enjoying using VirtualRPC, however there are a few things that would make it much nicer to use.
I always use VRPC in full screen mode. When I hit Alt+Enter it is to make a quick use of Windows, not because I've decided on a whim to use RISC OS in a window rather than full screen. It would be better if the VRPC window was automatically minimised when I return from a full screen VRPC. When the minimised VRPC window bit on the Windows task bar is clicked on, it could take me straight back into full screen RISC OS. At the moment, when I return to Windows, almost all the screen is taken up by the RISC OS window.
When the Windows screensaver comes on, and I enter my password to get back to using the computer, it would be better if VRPC remained in full screen mode.
PS, can you change my username to 'tlsa'? I did not intend it to be my e-mail address.