www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VRPC freezes when file copying / deleting etc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:35 pm 

I have recently installed VirtualRPC-SA on my new Windows 7 Home premium PC and overall am very happy. It runs perfectly with UAC set at whatever the default now is with Win 7.

The only oddity I've found is that when working in RISC OS if I start copying / moving or deleting large amounts files then VirtualRPC-SA will freeze requring ALT-Enter, File -Exit "Do you really want to quit ?" - OK to fix.

I can then restart VirtualRPC-SA and carry on where I left off (once I've worked out what's got copied), it will as likely as not freeze again a bit further on. It seems random-ish, in that sometimes it freezes after 1 or 2 files have copied (or been deleted), sometimes after a reasonably large number and sometimes, when there's only a few left to copy and it can copy when doing a few files (4 or 5), or larger numbers (20 or 30 or more), but it never fails in exactly the same place. even if I tried copying the same bunch of files again.

It does it whether doing it from one place to another on the install drive or from a CD or other Hard drive / external Pen drive etc installed via mounts.

I usually work round it by exiting VRPC and doing the file copies / deletes etc from Windows, but it's not ideal.

My Windows machine is SATA only, there are no IDE connections on the Motherboard whatsoever, don't know if that makes a difference. Spec of PC in case it's of help

Medion Akoya X7330 D (MD8839)
Windows 7 Home Premium (32Bit)
Quad Core Q8300 2.5GHZ
4GB DDR2 Ram (3GB usable)
1TB SATA Hard Disk
NVIDIA Motherboard (can't find the model and Everest can't read it). I know they've not been out long
NVIDIA G210 Graphics Card - latest NVIDIA Drivers installed
Realtek On board Sound with 6.0.1.5898, which is latest for my set up apparently

Not sure if there's any more info of use

Post subject: Re: VRPC freezes when file copying / deleting etc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:26 pm 

Those symptoms match the ones we had with the pre-release version of HostFS2 which were fixed in the 'production' release in the May 2006 update. See the explanatory text on [url]http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/dloadpage/varpcsa.htm[/url]

So if your CD Ser. No. is less than 20291-VRP, you might want to consider (re-)installing the May 2006 update, followed by the Jan 2007 and Jan 2009 updates to bring you bang up-to-date.

But taking a just-in-case back-up copy of the existing HostFS folder (in \VirtualRPC-SA\PlugIns\) is highly recommended! Note that the HostFS folder also contains your Extensions file so if you lose some filetypes, they're in there.

HTH, Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.

Post subject: Re: VRPC freezes when file copying / deleting etc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:59 pm 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I had already applied the updates. However I thought I'd try it again anyway as you suggested. I did them all one at a time. Each time it said 'update' successful, but the files suggested as being altered had actually not been, as I was able to keep 're-applying' them as many times as I liked

It turned out there's some sort of permissions thing going on inside Program Files. Sometimes it asks you for permission to alter files, other times it just goes through the motions and doesn't actually alter anything.

So I altered the permissions on the Virtual Acorn folder - made it 'Everyone - Full Control', bit drastic maybe. Anyway it did the trick and this time the updates applied successfully. If I attempted to re-apply anything after this, it then said 'update already applied' or words to that effect.

I've run up VRPC-SA and deliberately copied files all over the place to test and all is now as I would expect it to be.

Thought I'd just post back, in case anyone else runs into this.