www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: W7 Appcrash: ExSrv.DLL
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:37 pm 

SA-VRPC RO 4.09 stopped working after W7 security updates of 24/3/16 but a system restore failed. I switched off Kaspersky in case that was the problem. It's not UAC related either: VRPC's in a separate partition. I wondered whether it was CMOS-related but using VRPC utilities didn't cure it.
The problem claims to be "ExSrv.dll":
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: VirtualRPC-SA.exe
Application Version: 1.6.0.0
Application Timestamp: 45799c76
Fault Module Name: ExSrv.dll
Fault Module Version: 5.0.13.905
Fault Module Timestamp: 4f9753a2
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000069cb
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 62cb
Additional Information 2: 62cba2c7fb2123c10c1f01b211bc8bfd
Additional Information 3: f9a7
Additional Information 4: f9a71ba3ec27f3ade5ced73e880e01f6
I have VRPC-Adjust working on a W8.1 machine but this W7 is an essential backup. Advice please.

Post subject: Re: W7 Appcrash: ExSrv.DLL
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:26 pm 

Hmm. When you say "SA-VRPC stopped working ...", is that on starting up VirtualRPC? Any error messages at start-up? Are there any other visible symptoms, e.g. the hourglass appears for a couple of seconds but then reverts to the pointer?

Have you tried starting up a back-up copy of VirtualRPC? (Preferably a default installation from the master disc.)

ExSrv.dll doesn't appear to be crucially-important, so have you tried temporarily removing it from within the C\:WINDOWS\system32 folder? Does VirtualRPC now work? Do you get any adverse symptoms with ExSrv.dll removed?

Have you tried temporarily replacing the suspect ExSrv.dll with a fresh copy?

HTH

Mike Nicholl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:32 pm 

A further discovery. I notice that VRPC is no longer listed as being installed on the W7 computer, whereas it is listed as being installed on the W8.1 computer where VRPC works.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:48 pm 

T.O.M.S. wrote:
Hmm. When you say "SA-VRPC stopped working ...", is that on starting up VirtualRPC? Any error messages at start-up? Are there any other visible symptoms, e.g. the hourglass appears for a couple of seconds but then reverts to the pointer?

-- That is the error message on trying to start up: "VRPC has stopped working". Nothing at all happens other than this message with the details quoted above.

Have you tried starting up a back-up copy of VirtualRPC? (Preferably a default installation from the master disc.)

-- I have a copy of the entire VRPC-SA on an external drive. Should it run from that? If so, then it failed, with the same error message that it "had stopped working".
-- Essentially I use this W7 machine as a backup for the RPC on my W8.1 computer, copying over via ShareFS all the modifications I make.

ExSrv.dll doesn't appear to be crucially-important, so have you tried temporarily removing it from within the C\:WINDOWS\system32 folder? Does VirtualRPC now work? Do you get any adverse symptoms with ExSrv.dll removed?

Have you tried temporarily replacing the suspect ExSrv.dll with a fresh copy?

-- Sorry, I have no idea how to find a fresh copy: from the original W7 disc perhaps? I have no idea what ExSrv.dll does or where it lives, so didn't dare experiment.

HTH

Mike Nicholl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:03 pm 

AFAICT, the error message along the lines of 'Acorn RiscPC Emulator ... has stopped working" is typical of a clash with a Windows DLL. See for example the third post on the Forum under viewtopic.phpf=5&t=585

Again AFAICT, the troublesome ExSrv.dll doesn't seem to be particularly important. See for example http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/missi ... xpsrv-dll/ Also http://www.processlibrary.com/en/direct ... srv/19509/ with particular reference to 'Can I stop or remove expsrv.dll?' [[i]sic[/i]]

So I'm still inclined to suggest that you try temporarily removing ExSprv.dll from C:\Windows\system32 to see if: a) you can then run VirtualRPC without the error message *and* b) whether removing it has any noticeable adverse reaction on any other Windows application(s).

However, before doing that, I would recommend making a 'Restore Point' under System Restore, so that you can recover if need be. And as a belt-and-braces precaution, I would also make a copy of your Registry contents. (Recommend using CCleaner for that, click on the Registry option and follow the prompts.)

If you lose ExSprv.dll, there appear to be several download sources, e.g. https://www.dll-files.com/expsrv.dll.html

HTH - but we accept no responsibility if you break anything!! ;-)

Mike Nicholl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:55 pm 

A few questions raised here - I'm out of my comfort zone but currently doing latest backup of important data, which will take time. I'll also back up again the VRPC-SA program which lives in partition :D.
a) As to CCleaner (to copy Registry contents) do you mean the Pro version? I have the free copy v. 4.08 but trying to download its free update it links to FileHippo & the AntiVirus considers this malware. V.4 has no provision for copying the Registry contents.
b) It's not Expsrv.dll but ExSrv.dll that the message refers to.
c) I notice that in the System32 there are no such files, but in SysWOW64 there are 2 files: ExSrv.dll & also ExSrv2.dll . . .
Good to have the reassuring T.O.M.S to my rescue again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:34 pm 

Further thoughts . . I'm a belt + braces + piece of string man, so I have 3 VRPC versions in use:

a) A new i5 W8.1 model running VRPC-SAadjust, my main computer. This has NO ExSrv.dll in the System32 section but in SysWOW64 it has both ExSrv.dll & ExSrv2.dll both dated 16/5/2013.

b) The elderly AMD computer running W7 whose VRPC-SA RO 4.09 refuses to start. Its System32 contains no ExSrv.dll but does have in SysWOW64 both ExSrv.dll & ExSrv2.dll, both dated 27/4/12.
Both of the above computers have their HDs partitioned, with VRPC entirely within :D or :E partitions.

c) Additionally I have a Sony laptop, i3, running W7 & (like the faulty (b) VRPC) this is running VRPC-SA RO 4.09. This computer is not partitioned so VRPC resides in the :C HD. But this one works, with NO ExSrv.dll in System32 but again, within SysWOW64 having both ExSrv.dll & ExSrv2.dll both dated 27/4/12.

I'm wondering - would it be OK to remove the ExSrv.dll & ExSrv2.dll from the dodgy AMD-W7 computer to somewhere safe, then copy into their place the ExSrv.dll & ExSrv2.dll from the Sony laptop-W7 computer?

Since I have no idea what I'm doing with .dll files I await your advice before trying it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:18 pm 

Apologies for the delay in replying. All previous posts related to our continuing use of Windows XP and I see the cross-references are also similarly dated. So it all pre-dated Windows64...

Our Windows 10 laptop has just returned from Scandi so I've checked the contents of SysWOW64 and - just to confuse the issue - it has Expsrv.dll, but neither of the ones you mention. Curses.

However, having just re-read all our posts, and the cross-references, I'm inclined to conclude that variants of Exsrv, Exsrv2 and Espsrv are most likely different names for the same module group at the heart of the different symptoms. So we still feel trial-and-error is the way to go, see below.

As for CCleaner, we all use the freebie variant. However, your v4.08 is well out of date so I do recommend you update to the current v5.16xxxx and set it to alert you of further updates automatically.

As for the clash with Kapersky, we've downloaded and used CCleaner from FileHippo. com, on numerous machines and for many years, without the slightest hiccup. So is it possible to configure Kapersky to 'accept' CCleaner? Failing that, and provided you first make a System Restore point, I would have thought it reasonably safe to temporarily disable Kapersky, download and install CCleaner, re-enable Kapersky and then do a virus check to see what happens.

If all goes well, then I would suggest removing ExSrv.dll and ExSRV2 from SysWOW64 on your AMD/W7 machine and see what effect that has. Namely does VirtualRPC start up? And are there any adverse symptoms with other applications? Then if need be, you could try copying across the 2013 version(s) from the i5/W8 computer to see what happens. I'm sure you get the gist.

E&OE, good luck, fingers crossed, Mike N :-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:13 pm 

THanks for the advice. Restore point; ExSrv.dll & ExSrv2 copied to safe place.
ExSrv2 then deleted but VRPC doesn't work. However ExSrv refuses to be deleted because it says it's in use by Realtek sound.

This computer started off in WXP with a Creative SBAudigy2 ZS sound card & break-out panel: gorgeous but highly erratic, and not usable with W7 except for its SPDIF output to a DAC, so as much removed as possible - but Creative stuff permeates everything and is hard to remove completely.
The main sound since conversion to W7 has been via the Realtek on-board sound system using the jack sockets on the motherboard.
Recently I bought an external soundcard: Terratek AureonXFire8.0HD (beautiful!). I notice (from Revo Uninstaller) that the Realtek AC97 use is dated from 20/5/2015. This was when the Terratek was first used. There was no problem until last week.

And yet the Sony laptop (also VRPC-SA 4.09 & W7) uses Realtek sound & there's no conflict. Admittedly the sound is from built-in-speakers. It works with Terratek soundcard too.
So I tried copying the Sony's ExSrv.dll over the recalcitrant one but it won't let me, because again "It's in use with Realtek".

I could sacrifice all computer sound to VRPC at a pinch, though I do sometimes record music via a TV dongle (it gives the highest quality sound, by the way). But it is useful.

Thinks: Why do I need this computer with VRPC-SA?
(a) As a backup should the main VRPC-Adjust fail;
(b) Because it prints using CConcepts Turbo-Printers which allow me to print the Parish Mag using line halftones - but this is harder to implement in VRPC-Adjust. [I may have to risk it!]
(c) I've never succeeded with PostScript which I gather has that halftone function.
Any ideas please? The next edition of the Magazine's due in 10 days' time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:13 pm 

OK. the sound system on your computer has been much-modified so may be the cause of your problem. Unfortunately we're not familiar with the sound cards you mention so the following are only suggestions.

First: Start up Windows in 'Safe' mode, i.e. press *and hold down* the <F8> key during start-up. When the start-up procedure halts (at the 'Windows Advanced Options Menu' or similar), release the <F8> key, make the appropriate selections ('Safe Mode' and then choose the OS). Let Windows continue until it again stops, then select 'Proceed to work in safe mode' and you should finish up in - er - safe mode.

Now locate and again try to delete the ExSrv.dll module. Any success this time? If Yes, do a normal Windows re-start and then see if VirtualRPC will start up. If No, try copying across the 2013 version(s) from the i5/W8 computer to see what happens.

Second: As for printing the Parish Mag, have you tried first converting the mag into a Portable Document Format file and then printing it under Windows? We use both the PoScript2 print definition file in conjunction with Steve Fryatt's !PrintPDF application, alternatvely Martin Wuerthner's !PS3 application, both of which give truly excellent print results under Windows.

NB that, before the physical printing, and depending on your printer, you may first need to tweak the Windows 'Printing Preferences' settings to optimise the quality.

Usual E&OE and fingers crossed, etc etc, Mike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:51 pm 

Getting somewhere! Tried the Safe Mode & it accepted the deletion of the ExSrv.dll file - and VRPC-SA started!!!

Then experimented by inserting the 2 .dlls from the i3 laptop (which also uses Realtek & identical OSes). VRPC still worked. But the sound element had been lost, since I'd previously tried disabling the sound system. I did a system restore to before my tinkering: this went OK. Sound was back on, but no VRPC. I tried again deleting .dlls - ExSrv2.dll deleted OK but it refused to delete ExSrv.dll. This time, though, it claimed it was being "used in NVIDIA backend" . .

So back to the Safe Mode, deleted both ExSvr.dlls and - voila! - VRPC is working again. And also the sound! I haven't found any programs I regularly use affected by deleting these 2 .dlls.

Many thanks for the successful outcome.

To clarify by-issues . . CCleaner is now sorted out: clicking on the 'Update' top-right had led to the suspicious FileHippo download, whereas clicking on the Options > About icon instead leads to a different Piriform site & all went well in updating without AV issues.

Printing the Parish Mag (where line screen images copy in far superior quality) . . I have Windows OvPro also, and use EFF fonts which match the RISC OS fonts I use, so I can print from that in Windows. However that doesn't use the clever CConcepts TurboPrinters which Ian Hamilton very kindly got to work via his PrintSpooler 2.18. It's the PostScript method that's so far defeated me. Now the immediate panic's subsiding I must explore that, with 2 potential mentors in mind.

That's the marvel of RISC OS & VRPC: the help one receives from others including the ever-reliable T.O.M.S. Thank you, Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:14 am 

Good-oh, yet another tick on the board. :-)

Re: CCleaner, if you configure it to give update alerts (Options->Settings and tick the 'Automatically check for updates' box), they will take you straight to the 'safe' FileHippo.com site.

Mike